BGB <cr88...@gmail.com> writes:

>> Well it's clear that it's not their best interest to do that: only about
>> 40% males reproduce in this setup.
>
> it is in the best interest of those who are successful.
>
> if a person works in their own best interests, it may benefit
> themselves, but this is not to say that it necessarily benefits
> everyone.
>
> I suspect though that the modern reproductive statistics are probably
> a bit better than this though, given that general survival and
> mate-finding are probably a bit more balanced in modern times (as well
> as most westernized societies holding negative views on things like
> polygamy, which were also a lot more common in past societies as well,
> ...).

I don't think so.  It could change if parental genetic tests were done
systematically.  On the other hand, in the USA a lot of black women
still have children without counting on a supporting father, so if
genetic tests were done systematically (with the removal of support of
the woman and child from the deceived husband), that would just
generalize the single-mother phenomenon to the whole society, I'm
afraid.

> I don't personally believe that the genders are all that different in
> terms of how they behave, nor necessarily in terms of relative
> ability, but may differ more in terms of what they look for, for
> example, due to things like societal expectations and similar.

Yes, they're nowdays fundamentally different, because of the selection
that has been made naturally, because of the differences between man and
woman.

> but, likely, societal expectations is the hard one.
> very possibly, much of the current media may actually serve to make
> this problem worse.

>> I learn programming languages basically by reading the reference, and by
>> exploring the construction of programs from the language rules.
>>

> this is more of an "advanced" strategy though, as-in, probably
> something used by someone generally already familiar with the general
> topic.

That's how I learned my first programming language and programming,
given that at the time there weren't any program to copy from!  It was
even before programs for micro-computers were pulished in journals.