> Keiron Liddle wrote:
> >
> > If you submit a patch for this it will be committed before you know it!
>
> Excellent!
>
> > No-one else has mentioned working on it so go ahead. It will probably
> > need to be done on both branches but do whatever you want to.
>
> Right, I'll get onto it, then.
>
> Jeremias mentioned LogEnabled is replacing Loggable, is there any
> concensus about moving Driver over to the new interface, making it
> implement both, or just leaving it as-is for now? I'd suggest moving it
> over, if not, then implementing both.

Michael, I've got a day off tomorrow, so I could help, too. No way at
the moment I can allocate time during work. The projects kill me.

I'd do the following:

- Remove logkit.jar as it's not really need when we're finished.
- Add avalon-framework.jar (We probably have to use a CVS snapshot
  because the current version 4.1.2 doesn't contain the ConsoleLogger,
  yet. CVS of framework is very stable.)
- Replace all occurences of org.apache.log.Logger with
  org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger.
- Use org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.ConsoleLogger (prints to
  System.out) as default logger.
- There's a choice whether we want to use the LogEnabled interface or
  not (Forget Loggable). I mean after a quick look at the main branch
  I've seen a number of occurences where Keiron made setLogger/getLogger
  methods. These are candidates for implementing LogEnabled, because it
  defines just that. Where applicable we can extend AbstractLogEnabled
  which provides implementations for LogEnabled along with methods for
  getting child loggers etc. I'm for using LogEnabled wherever possible
  because it will help us later adopt the other contract interfaces from
  Avalon (which enables us the make use of ComponentManager (or its
  successor)).

I can help you with implementing or documenting, whatever you want. I'll
reserve my time tomorrow. Unfortunately I can't help a lot during the
next 8 hours because I'm going to visit a customer. I'm here for another
hour or so.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch