On 5/28/23 12:25 PM, Mikael Morin wrote:
Hello,

I would like to apply for 60% of my work time if there is funding for it.

These are the projects that I would like to push (in no particular order):
  - Simplify scalarizer API and usage,
 - Create internal APIs (basically split gfortran.h and/or trans.h to different pieces) and add unit testing for them,  - Move code from class.cc to a trans-class.cc and get rid of the class artifacts around the class descriptor and vtable in the whole frontend.  - Defer all work done at parsing time to resolution time, so that the parser's job reduces to just recognizing and recording statements,
  - Avoid simplifying intrinsics before checking they are valid,
  - Improve module loading (there is PR98426, possibly a few others),
  - Array descriptor reform (does it still apply?).

The above are, I think, long and/or difficult, and a bit unrewarding as they have virtually no user-visible impact, and it's unlikely to get funding for them.  But maybe we could apply for a package project including user-visible changes and less visible ones.

The projects proposed by Paul all seem worth pursuing.  If there is only one, my vote goes for fixing the PDTs.

Cheers.
Mikael

The original person who contacted me at FortranDiscourse already submitted a proposal for something to do with Fortran-Lang and is offering to assist with a gfortran proposal. I asked for a direct email address so I could relay this to you if you do not have it. I also gave saveral of your emails to him asking to contact you directly.

Regards,

Jerry