On Tue, 2014-05-20 at 09:30 -0400, Emily Gonyer wrote:
> In regards to paid and unpaid contributors to GNOME, I honestly feel
> that unpaid contributions should be favored. I realize that is
> probably unlikely to occur, but it ought to. Why? Because GNOME is, at
> least in theory, a free software 'project'. As such, it is supposedly
> run, and worked on largely by volunteers.

That's (fortunately) incorrect.

>  Unfortunately of course, we
> all know this is not true. In practice most of the top contributors
> are paid to work on GNOME - as a result, most of their work is
> directed by corporations,

I find that incredibly insulting, especially as it's the second time you
say this. I'm paid to work on GNOME, and like most of my colleagues
working on GNOME, I was a GNOME contributor before being paid to work on
it. Suggesting that we don't have GNOME's best interests at heart is
just hurtful, and incorrect.

>  and their wants/needs and not by the
> thousands of individual users who have different wants/needs. But
> because they are paid to work on it, they have more time to do so and
> rise faster and receive more respect and admiration than those of us
> who do so 'just for fun'. This creates a lopsided portrait of the
> wants/needs of users. And, of course, the corporations who are paying
> for the work don't care what individual users think - why would they?

And you really think that those evil corporations would manage to make
us make changes to GNOME that we think would be detrimental to GNOME as
a project?

Do you want me to assign those remarks to ignorance or malice?