On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 7:21 AM, Stormy Peters <stormy.pet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 5:15 AM, Emily Gonyer <emilyyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Of course people should be able to be paid to work on free software.
>> That's great. But when one or two large companies pay the majority of
>> developers, it becomes hard to argue that it is still a 'community
>> led' project, let alone one which is independent. And that's where
>> GNOME is right now.
>

> If you are afraid that one entity has too much influence, you can recruit
> other companies to invest as much.
>
> The other option mentioned is the Wikimedia option. I believe they only
> collect donations from individuals. However, as far as I know, they never
> had other organizations paying people's salaries, so I don't know if that's
> an option for GNOME.
>
> Stormy

Of course Stormy. That's why I'm running for the board. I'd love to
see GNOME take up a funding system similar to Wikimedia's.

--
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it. -  Goethe

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr.Seuss

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that
counts can be counted. - Albert Einstein