On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 5:15 AM, Emily Gonyer <emilyyr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course people should be able to be paid to work on free software.
> That's great. But when one or two large companies pay the majority of
> developers, it becomes hard to argue that it is still a 'community
> led' project, let alone one which is independent. And that's where
> GNOME is right now.

If you are afraid that one entity has too much influence, you can recruit
other companies to invest as much.

The other option mentioned is the Wikimedia option. I believe they only
collect donations from individuals. However, as far as I know, they never
had other organizations paying people's salaries, so I don't know if that's
an option for GNOME.

Stormy