On Wed, 28 May 2014, Michael Schnell wrote:

On 05/26/2014 08:17 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
The former is already required out of Delphi compatibility while TEpikTimer is not.
(For the record: I do hate this argument. Especially regarding the latest moves of Delphi getting more and more incompatible to itself. fpc can easily be both more "stringent", more versatile and more platform independent.)

Additionally container structures can be considered essential for basically every software while a timing component is not...
(For the record: I do hate this argument. fpc (and even Delphi) can very decently be used for embedded software and much more non-Desktop or "special Desktop" (e.g. Gaming) purposes.)

It is not about environments for running programs. The classes are on a completely different level.

Lists (and containers) are general purpose, almost language-level constructs.
Timers simply are not. They may be important to you, no argument there.

And you don't think we FPC developers have enough to do with the remaining RTL and FCL on all those platforms we support?
Of course you are right. I did not want to push anybody. I just see that here the best possible multi-platform support is provided.

Then let it be put in Lazarus in components/epiktimer ... Lazarus releases more often than FPC does.

Hmm.
While I personally in fact would like to _use_ it for a Lazarus enhancement, I would be happy to see it usable without Lazarus.

It's just a source file. You cownload and compile at will.

Putting it in FPC means it puts an additional burden on FPC devs,  however you
turn it.
This is a hobby project, still, so we put in what we feel is useful and can be
maintained.
None seems willing to take it on, but you can stil download and compile at will.