On 3/18/19 11:21 PM, Mattias Gaertner via fpc-pascal wrote:
On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 22:04:17 +0100
Joost van der Sluis <jo...@cnoc.nl> wrote:

Definitely.
It would be even better to tell the full file name.
e.g. /etc/fpcpkg.cfg.

Problem is that it could also be in the fppkg-compiler configuration
file (by default called default). But it could also be something
else. To be honest, I don't have a clue why it does not work for you.

That's my problem too. That's why I'm asking for a better error message.

I can not give a better error-message, if I do not even know myself what the problem of your configuration is.

One guess would be that you do not have the fpmkunit-directory
available.

It would be extremely helpful, if it would check common mistakes, like
this. An error message "Directory /path/fpmkunit is missing. Check your
/etc/fpcpkg.cfg." would be far better than "Error: the Fppkg
configuration is corrupt."
What is corrupt? Is something missing, too much, not readable, did a
command fail? What did it check to come to this conclusion?

It already does all checks I can think of. And it does have special messages for all those cases.

But, as long as I do not know what the problem is that you or others are experiencing, I can not give a better message.

The message you see is the last message, when it failes but the system has no clue why.

Maybe I should change this message to what is exactly happens, that it can not find the rtl. But this was the message in the past, leading to all kind of complains like: 'But the RTL is just there!'.

We have to find the right message. It also took a while until we found the right text for the other problems in this dialog.

But first I have to know what your issue actually is.

Does not work. Can you elaborate, what it should do?

Call samplecfg. ;)

The dialog checks if the given prefix is valid. (It checks for the
existence of a few files)

Lazarus does similar checks with fpc. Some fpc version changed some
paths, some platforms have different files. Boom, the user gets a
wrong error message. That's why the IDE should tell exactly, what it
checked.

When it can not find those files, it will tell you so. Just like the other screens do. Just type something on the combobox with the prefix, it will give you hints until the path is probably right.
When you click on the button to create the new configuration-file, it
calls 'fpcmkcfg -3' and 'fpcmkcfg -4' with the parameters deducted
from the given prefix. Just like samplecfg on Linux does.

After this, it re-loads fppkg. And it checks if the rtl-package can
be found. If this is not the case, it complains.

So, can you give the output of 'fppkg listsettings' and 'fppkg list
-d', to check why it can not find the rtl?

Probably it fails because I have old 2.6.4 fppkg configs.

It should be able to handle those. And even when not, fpcmkcfg should just overwrite those.

Another guess would be: it uses an old version of fpcmkcfg. Older versions need other parameters for it to work. But it seaches for fpcmkcfg at the same location it finds the compiler. So when you did do a 'make install', it should use the latest version.

How do your fppkg.cfg and default files looks like? After the re-create that is?

Regards,

Joost.