On Jun 7, 2005, at 10:09 PM, Stephen Hurd wrote:

Adaptec doesn't have the worlds best reputation for allowing people to write drivers (or even for writing non-buggy firmware) but I seem to recall that the Macs that ship with SCSI support use an Adaptec chipset... oh, on looking, it appears that the IIci uses an NCR SCSI chipset... specifically, the 5380 which was found on many commodity PC SCSI cards too.

I don't recall Apple ever using Adaptec chips. Their first ethernet card (NuBus) was done by 3-Com and so marked. Recently (several years ago) Apple offered a high end Atto SCSI card with new systems. Power Computing was the one who shipped possibly the world's first Adaptec 2930's, years before a much improved 2930 hit the boxed shelves.

IIRC the first PowerPC Macs had two SCSI busses, one was NCR and the other was a combo AMD Lance ethernet and SCSI.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]