On Jun 8, 2005, at 1:06 AM, Stephen Hurd wrote:

David Kelly wrote:

No, "Apple SC Setup" would not do a non-Apple SCSI drive. This might have changed with MacOS 9. MacOS X has never complained about any IDE HD I have tried.

I never had a problem and was using either System 6 or System 7 (Never could justify shelling out for an OS for them) I don't remember *exactly* how I did it, but since they didn't have Internet connectivity at the time, nor a modem, I must have used stuff that came with the system. Also, I don't remember any difficulties at all. Not to say I didn't have any at all, this was years ago, but since this was among the very first things I ever did with my very own Mac, I believe I would remember having issues such as "cannot partition the drive". The larger SCSI HDs still persist in being the only drive in those systems. I also remember at work having gobs of external SCSI HDs hanging off of almost every Mac... very few of which had the Apple of happiness on the front. I suppose if I got *really* curious, I could fire 'em up and take a peek. I doubt I will though.

3rd party SCSI hard drives for the Mac almost always came pre- formatted. And always with a 3rd party driver on floppy unless one purchased a raw drive. At most set the SCSI ID and termination and one was up and running.

A simple "Get Info" on the drive icon will list the driver being used.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]