Stephen Hurd wrote:

David Kelly wrote:
<snop>

Currently the same thing holds true for internal CD/DVD drives. But put the same non-Apple drive on Firewire and MacOS is happy with it.

You must be dealing with an older "originally" than I. I've replaced the 40MB HD in an SE/30 with a 700-oddMB IBM one from a PS/2 with no issues. Ditto for a pair of uh... *goes and looks* IIci macs. Are we talking way back when Apple didn't use standard SCSI-1 (Which, I think is because there was no formal standard)? May as well complain that you couldn't replace the "non-standard" 800k floppy with a "standard" 720k one.

Indeed, as I said before, those days have been long gone, for many a moon. And, what's more, Stephens SE/30 should run System 7.5 (8 even?...been awhile since I worked in the old OS's) which means, it should be able to deal with fairly large drives, larger if it can deal with HFS+. So, not even really a driver issue there, its one of disk format.

<snip>.... but I seem to recall that the Macs that ship with SCSI support use an Adaptec chipset...

And, id also like to add...I typically had less of a problem with Adaptec stuff with Macs...than I did with PC's. Typically, adaptec stuff ran fairly well on Macs. But, I digress.

<snip>

Thank goodness, since the stock ones are so terrible.

Heh, maybe now we can get a stock two button mouse. =)

--
Duo.