What you are saying certainly has credence.  I worked for a Semiconducter
manufacturer here in Arizona (Microchip) as a software engineer for a number
of years.  We *ALWAYS* published full information about our devices
(datasheets, etc), and it never hurt us -- because we always kept moving
forward into new technology.  Rival companies often cut the top of chips off
and "map" the chip to see what others are doing.  Even if they try to
implement a similar technology, it still takes months of design work,
characterization, production masking, etc.  By that time, we were nearly in
production with our next-gen chipsets.  The only time I can remember not
publishing information was for our Keylog products, which required an NDA.

        It has been my expirience, though, that chipset manufacturers generally
*DO* publish information about devices.  A quick call and a bit of social
engineering can usually get you the datasheets, or a development kit, if the
information isn't on the web.  It's when these devices are applied that
things become "grey."  Sometimes, the hardware combined with the software
make up the "technology advance."  Such was the case with our (Microchip's)
Keylog products.  It's been a number of years since I worked for them, so, I
don't know if they have "opened" it up yet or not.

        Perhaps I'll have to re-think my position in the matter concerning
releasing information if I was in a competitive market.  If I've spent
millions of dollars researching a given technology, I'd be hard-pressed to
immediately turn around and publish that information when I produced the
product.  Perhaps that's why so many companies are putting patents on damn
near everything these days.

        I'm not saying that NO drivers should be open-sourced.  Personally, I'd
like to see them all (I too feel that open-sourced software is often better
than the manufacturers).  However, for those companies wishing NOT to (for
whatever reason), a binary driver will do.  The open source zealots view
that "everything" should be open is simply too severe.

- Steve
P.S.  Funny that you should mention xfree and video drivers -- personally, I
feel that video drivers should be in the O/S domain and not in the xfree
domain...