On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 04:14:20PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> it's not possible to just set a bit and make it work with, say, a 3C875J
> card,

You sure?  The PC164 that was Beast.freebsd.org had an 875 card:

sym0: <875> port 0x10000-0x100ff mem 0x82010000-0x82010fff,0x82011000-0x820110ff irq 0
at device 6.0 on pci0
sym0: Symbios NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-20, SE, parity checking
sym0: open drain IRQ line driver, using on-chip S RAM
sym0: using LOAD/STORE-based firmware.
sym0: SCAN FOR LUNS disabled for targets 0.
sym0: interrupting at CIA irq 0

Its been my experience that one must use generic Symbios/LSI Logic cards.
Many of the other manufacturers tweak the PCI id, or augment it (this is
why Diamond Symbios SCSI cards will not work in a PC164SX).  You can find
Symbios branded 875 cards in eBay for about $25.  Qlogic 1040 cards (the
stock card in Miata MX5's) for $30.

> Sooner or later, the smallest IDE drive sold will be too large for the
> PC164 BIOS to handle.  Then the machine becomes a doorstop.[*]

Does this include if you use one of the new ATA-100 PCI controllers in it?

> [*] Ignoring, for now, the question of whether the PC164 is *already* a
> doorstop in a world of dual and quad processor 1Ghz machines.

If you'd be willing to donate it to a FreeBSD developer, I have a home
for it. :-)

--
-- David  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX