On 31 Jul 2009, at 16:36, Louis Mamakos wrote:

Also beware that gmirror in RELENG_7 will upgrade the metadata in your mirror when you boot. This could be an issue if you need to revert to a RELENG_6 kernel with the older gmirror. I've done a source upgrade (months ago, though) from 6.x to 7.x successfully, though.

I'm pretty sure that was before 6.4 so your metadata has already been upgraded, but it can't hurt to check UPDATING for it. If memory serves me correctly from my own (rather problematic) upgrade 25 days ago that changed in Nov 2006.

I remember that date because the metadata upgrade caught me unaware and caused me quite a headache when my 7.2 custom kernel panicked and my old 6.3 kernel couldn't read the mirror anymore. Just in case, you can mount one of the devices in the mirror instead and boot your old root off it, but don't make the same mistake I made fsck-ing it (don't forget to disable background fsck as well to make sure).

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:363,4a7438a910138351221251!