Jo Rhett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > If you have issues with 6.3, your time would be better spent
> > reporting them (by which I mean describe them in detail) than waving
> > your hands in the air and yelling at people.
> Must you resort to nonsense and hyperbole?

I'll stop the minute you start backing your claims with data - by which
I mean PR numbers at the very least, and preferably information about
the outcome of your own tests.

> I'd said nearly a dozen times that the issues I have aren't specifics.

You mean apart from this:

 > gmirror failures, 3ware raid driver timeouts, bge0 problems.  All
 > three in production use on dozens of systems.

or this:

 > The bugs in question were very well documented.

Sounds to me like you have something pretty specific in mind - yet you
consistently refuse to share any of it with us.  Every time someone asks
you for more information, you dodge the issue with nonsense like the
following:

> I am questioning the overall policy for EoL here. Even if it was known
> to work properly on my hardware the overwhelming amount of bugs in 6.3
> indicates an unstable release.

Which overwhelming amount of bugs?  Mark Linimon gave you the numbers:

 > Finally, here are some statistics about PR count:
 >
 >   rel        all             kern
 >   ---        ---             ----
 >   6.0        210              91
 >   6.1        217              81
 >   6.2        396             102
 >   6.3        167              56
 >   7.0        563             140
 >
 > To me, this doesn't look like an overwhelming case for 6.3 being worse
 > off than 6.2.  Yes, I'm sure there are regressions: there are in any
 > release.

Looks like there are significantly fewer open PRs against 6.3 than
against 6.2.

> The diffs between 6.3 and 6-STABLE are greater than the diffs between
> 6.2 and 6.3 last time I checked.

Yet another claim that is simply not supported by evidence:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/projects/freebsd/releng_6/src% ncvs diff -Nu
-rRELENG_6_2_BP -rRELENG_6_3_BP >/tmp/releng62-releng63.diff
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/projects/freebsd/releng_6/src% ncvs diff -Nu
-rRELENG_6_3_BP -rRELENG_6 >/tmp/releng63-releng6.diff
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/projects/freebsd/releng_6/src% wc /tmp/releng6*
 1177219 4227294 48994670 /tmp/releng62-releng63.diff
  481059 2094131 16180209 /tmp/releng63-releng6.diff
 1658278 6321425 65174879 total

> I can't understand the logic in having only a single supported version
> of the OS, especially one which so many known/reported/fixed-post-
> release bugs.

As you have been repeatedly told: we do what we can with the resources
we have.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - [EMAIL PROTECTED]