On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Matthias
Pfafferodt<matthias.pfaffer...@mapfa.de> wrote:
> at the moment I use svn to work with the freeciv code. For each patchset I
> create a copy of the svn repo using 'cp -lr'. It is not the best way but
> working ...
>
> How would I'm using git (my own local git repo) for the freeciv source code? I
> found git-svnimport and also more than enough web sides to explain git. But
> how to handle different patchsets? Create a new branch for each? Up to now I
> used cvs on my own projects (only one user) but with the freeciv code it is
> kind of confusing, especially rebasing to the up-to-date svn.

My experience (we did it with git-svn here at work) is that it's a bit
of an impedance mismatch; svn's limitations impose limitations on how
you use git (I don't know if git-svnimport is any better): merges seem
to make SVN go "WTF?" and freak out.

Although I've never tried, I guess you could use a separate branch for
each patchset, if you take care with how you bring it back into SVN.