BTW, I should have mentioned earlier that our oldest open bug (BR#479) is
about resizability, and there is some relevant discussion there.

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 11:53:37 +0100
win...@genial.ms wrote:
> you are right that the colony panel is in most need of an update.

In whatever discussion follows, please understand this: the
ColonyPanel is a *very* special case.  Its code is bigger and more complex
than any other panel, it has many points where it makes calls to the
controller, and it is the most commonly used... and I doubt this is
going to change.

Therefore in trying to work out principles for panel resizing, it is
probably a bad idea to use the ColonyPanel as an example.  It is highly
atypical.

> You are even lucky you get a vertical scroll bar for the buildings,
> for me its mostly a horizontal scroll bar, which is twice as ugly. When
> upgrading the buidings they sometimes needed even more
> space. Could you see if, as a quick fix, you could make the standard size of
> the whole colony panel larger to avoid scroll bars there?

I agree that scroll bars are not ideal, but growing the panel is just
dodging the issue.  We should *always* be able to handle overflow in the
building area, because FreeCol allows more buildings to be added to the
spec.  Indeed, all areas probably need to handle overflow.  What concerns
me more here is why you are not getting the vertical bar.

> I also remember having problems with advisor panels (many months ago) and it
> was a godsend to be able to resize those.
> Thats why I would like to keep resizability everywhere. I also think its wise
> to not take away functionality some people have a
> use for, considering the other people most likely just dont care about things
> they dont use.

I agree these are good arguments for resizability.

> Another, secondary thought on the games code I had was to slowly/continuously
> cut down on circular dependencies,

Untangling the dependencies is a good idea, but another matter.

Cheers,
Mike Pope