Hi,

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 04. November 2015 um 11:26 Uhr
> Von: "Michael T. Pope" <mp...@computer.org>
>
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 01:17:52 +0100
> win...@genial.ms wrote:
> > some time ago we already talked about rescuing some of the
> > source art files from SVN.
> >
> > I also happened to see some old discussion on debian games mailing
> > list about what should be required in terms of source for art files,
> > which made me think about licensing requirements and if some of this
> > stuff would actually needed to be included in the source packages?
>
> I am not sure artwork is in the same category as source code.  Do the FSF
> say anything about this?

My impression is they mostly just care about source code (and partially
documentation) and that resulted in the GPL only using words referring
to code. There is some statement where they recommend using GPL even though
they say you have to know yourself what sourcecode means (as they might
not even know themself):
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPLOtherThanSoftware
IIRC this ambiguity and uncertainty is one of the reasons CC-BY-SA was
created by people who care about artists.

> > Though it worries me that it might triple the size of the git repo.
> > What do you think?
>
> I would prefer not to grow the repo that much (indeed, I was hoping to
> evict the website directory in due course).  Perhaps we should start a
> freecol-artwork project.

Yeah, I pretty much want to avoid growing it too much, too. Thats why
I asked if you have a better idea and was trying to prune it before
adding it (I found a paint.net plugin for psd files which I'll try out).
A separate art repo might be a good idea, maybe you could convert the SVN
and git filter-branch inappropriate stuff like col1 or civ3 art.
For the website its too late already, as you fiddling around with
git filter-branch invalidates all commit hashes. I would just keep it
for now, unless it helps with maintenance or upload of the website.
I also found a number of useful higher res images in the website part,
which I would want to keep, so I'd prefer you do not delete it, tell me
when/if it happens and let me sort out what to delete and what not.

Greetings,

winteertime