Hi,

some time ago we already talked about rescuing some of the
source art files from SVN.

I did go though the files now and they are large.
I already pruned a few hundred MB of irrelevent files
(outdated terraintiles, screenshots and sprites from other games),
but there are still about 800MB left.
There are still some duplicated files, extracted resized images
and slightly modified versions of psd-s, some of which could be
removed, but it would be a large effort of manual file comparisons
without knowing if there is enough to be pruned for it to be
worthwhile. I still have the problem that I only get a rough
preview of psd files from Libre Office, maybe gimp can import them
if I install it, although it only seems to have partial compatibility?

I also happened to see some old discussion on debian games mailing
list about what should be required in terms of source for art files,
which made me think about licensing requirements and if some of this
stuff would actually needed to be included in the source packages?

I think source art is as important to preserve as source code and
its also nice to have lossless files, not just ogg or jpg or down-
sized png. Some files provide higher resolution images I plan on
using, though that needs some changes to the resource loading and
key files to allow more than one size to be loaded, which can get
weird if a mod overwrites something.
Though it worries me that it might triple the size of the git repo.
What do you think?

Regards,

wintertime