*> All true.  However we have had a few "Oh shit" releases, where we putout
version N only to have to put out N+1 almost immediately to fix aglaring
bug. *

In an ideal situation, and I'd say once FreeCol is considered out of beta
(stable), we'd have release candidates where this sort of thing would be
found before creating a stable release. It's kind of expected with beta
software in general. While we can try and do everything we can to avoid
having this happen, we don't have enough eyes on trunk, and we need more
eyes on it to catch these kinds of problems before they would hit a
release. Aside from creating a release, I'm not sure how else to get those
eyes on it.
I'd love to do a pre-0.12 release to do just that... but since this is
still beta, 0.12.0 **is** the pre-release to 1.0.0 anyway. That's why my
opinion/vote would be to just go for it -- creating the 0.12.0 release
soonish, knowing there are some issues. I think the major thing we want to
try and avoid is big blockers (P0). So far most have been fixed, and we're
down to what I'd consider annoyances, and other minor issues that don't
block gameplay as far as I've been able to find.

*> Agreed in general.  Pity this release required a major rewrite that took*
*way longer than it should have.*

Such is the way of OSS that doesn't have enterprise backing, with a very
small team and you doing 99% of the work. I am amazed and pleased that you
were able to stick with it for so long! I don't know that I could have done
that.

*> The question then is "how soon do you*
*want to do 0.12.1?":-).*

Shortest answer: As soon as necessary.
If it needs to be the following week, or 2 weeks later. I'm okay with that.
I would like to automate the release process so that *_if we wanted to_* we
could release on a 2-week cadence. Not saying that we would (or wouldn't ;)
), just that we should be capable of it.

Again, if there are objections, I have no problem pushing out the release
date further, plus if we find another P0 blocker, we would have to do that
anyway.

I'd love to hear other folks on this mailing list chime in as well... what
are your thoughts, are you playing the game? If not, could I ask that you
play a bit and let us know how it looks now? :)

-- David