Hi Jim,

> I have a problem.  the only OS microsoft offers now is windows 7.
> machines from HP only have drivers for windows 7.   I want XP.  so I
> am up a creek without a paddle trying to do dos development and
> needing a newer intel machine with more cores (4 or 6).

Does Windows 7 have the ability to run DOS apps? XP did.

> so, since everything HP offers is 64-bit, is there a 64-bit or 32-bit
> emulator that can run freedos and still have access to a FAT32
> partition I make with windows?  what about an NTFS partition? I have

For NTFS access in DOS, you need big drivers like NTFS4DOS.

However, even if HP only gives you Windows 7 drivers, you
can of course run FreeDOS directly on your 4/6 core machine
and access FAT32 partitions from there. Disk, keyboard and
mouse as well as 2d graphics all work, thanks to your BIOS.

The downside is that DOS in general runs only one app full
screen and might not support your network card etc. You can
of course plug a PCI card with Realtek chipset or similar.
Only a few DOS apps will be able to use modern sound chips.
Wireless network is almost completely unsupported in DOS.

> heard of bochs and qemu, I don't know which emulator anyone has
> gotten up and running with

The rest of the thread discusses this...

> How can I build my own FreeDOS emulator image using a batch file?

As you can emulate many drives, you can boot from an
unchanged boot floppy or boot CD image. I like the

http://wiki.qemu.org/download/qemu-doc.html#disk_005fimages_005ffat_005fimages

idea mentioned elsewhere in this thread which allows
you to simulate a fat disk in qemu out of a host OS
directory (which can be any filesystem type, eg NTFS)
even though with write access is a bit tricky then.

> Does it require a freedos ripcord bootable floppy image?

Ripcord? That would be ancient... Try freedos 1.0 CD image
or the floppy distro from Rugxulo, which is much newer than
the 1.0 CD of FreeDOS: http://sites.google.com/site/rugxulo/

> I do know that 64-bit windows 7 will run 32-bit apps.

Good :-)

Eric