Le 2 févr. 2011 à 05:22, dos386 a écrit :

>> In some countries, at least France, it is illegal to force people
>> to buy 2 things when they only want one.
>
> COOL :-)
>
> So you can acheter a PC without Windaube en France?

In theory yes.

In practice, the 15y ongoing fight has finally led to some advances, like some
big shops being requested by courts to show the price details of the included
software, and publish software refund procedure. Though not all vendors follow
those procedures and they make sure it is as complicated it can be (you have to
send your machine for 1 month, ...).

But some (online mostly, and small ones in town) shops propose PCs without OS,
though it's harder to find laptops.

Sometimes to counter Microsoft claims that not having an OS installed implies
the buyer will copy Windoze illegally they just preinstall FreeDOS :)

We can also notice having a single price for the computer and the OS makes it
easy for the vendors to blur the VAT details even though the rates are
different, allowing M$ to evade perhaps a billion euros in VAT fees just in
France alone.

> Is it cheaper (preferably by plus que 1 Euro) than a PC with Windaube?

The refund is still very hard to calculate, some only get 15 EUR, while some
managed to get 100 or 200 IIRC.

Some "fast path" local courts made it more difficult by saying tied sale was
ok, but in november 2nd ruling courts looked at it and broke the judgements :

http://www.april.org/la-cour-de-cassation-sinteresse-la-vente-liee
http://aful.org/communiques/tres-belle-victoire-groupe-aful-racketiciel
http://racketiciel.info/nouvelles/arret-cour-cassation-distributeurs

Interestingly the DGCCRF (government agency for fair competition) never really
took position on the matter, "waiting for court decisions", maybe they will
finally act upon it now that we have them.

François.