On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 12:56 PM, François Revol <re...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le 12 févr. 2011 à 13:39, Liam Proven a écrit :
>
>> The only major PC OS I've found that /doesn't/ work is OS/2. However,
>> this does work under VMware Player, which is freeware but proprietary.
>
> You can always sent patches to VirtualBox, it's Free Software :D

:¬) Well, I would, but I am not a programmer and don't know anything
newer than a *very* basic knowledge of TurboPascal for MS-DOS 22y ago.
I don't care for C or C-like languages and try to avoid them.

I believe VirtualBox's software x86 emulation uses Ring 1 of the CPU
to run Ring 0 code, which OS/2 does not permit. VMware, on the other
hand, runs Ring 0 code through a software interpreter, which works.

My CPU - an Athlon64 X2 4600+, the last-ever Socket 939 CPU - does not
support hardware virtualisation. The problem that I have probably
would not affect a newer CPU with Intel VT or AMD-V.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508