On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 1:18 AM, François Revol <re...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le 12 févr. 2011 à 22:09, Rugxulo a écrit :
>
>> There are several dialects of Pascals for DOS. And don't forget
>> Modula-2, Modula-3, Oberon. Unfortunately, most are abandoned. But
>> yeah, I agree, C is weird. Nevertheless, the FreeDOS kernel uses it.
>> (VirtualBox probably uses C++, but I forget exactly.)
>
> Yes they use C++ which rox (don't listen to linux freaks :p)

If I find C too complicated, C++ is definitely no better!

>>> I believe VirtualBox's software x86 emulation uses Ring 1 of the CPU
>>> to run Ring 0 code, which OS/2 does not permit. VMware, on the other
>>> hand, runs Ring 0 code through a software interpreter, which works.
>>
>> I also noticed in the past that eComStation 1.2 demo didn't run, but
>> they don't even seem to offer than online anymore (esp. since 2.0 was
>> finalized), so I can't test again. I think Wikipedia claims it's due
>> to pervasive use of ring 2 by OS/2.

That sounds right.

> You might want to check tickets about OS/2 though, maybe it works now...
> http://www.virtualbox.org/search?q=os%2F2&wiki=on&changeset=on&ticket=on
>
> and the guest OSes list:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes
>
> It lists OS/2 as working under some conditions.

Yes, *if* your CPU has hardware virtualisation. :¬(

My PC is 6Y old and was a gift from a friend (although it needed a new
heatsink and fan, graphics card, optical drive and hard drives.) It's
too old, sadly, but as a dual-core ~3GHz 64-bit machine, it is more
than powerful enough for my needs and I am not going to spend money to
replace such a powerful free machine!

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508