Hi,

On 2/13/11, Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> There are several dialects of Pascals for DOS. And don't forget
>> Modula-2, Modula-3, Oberon. Unfortunately, most are abandoned. But
>> yeah, I agree, C is weird. Nevertheless, the FreeDOS kernel uses it.
>> (VirtualBox probably uses C++, but I forget exactly.)
>
> True, but it does mean I can't really usefully contribute code to
> anything...

Okay, honestly, who really expected you (or any of us) to contribute
to VirtualBox?  :-)

No, I just wanted to mention that I'd (very briefly) dabbled in all of
those recently for DOS. I mean, since you prefer Wirth over C, I
thought you should know. Besides, his birthday is in two days (Feb.
15).   ;-)

>>> My CPU - an Athlon64 X2 4600+, the last-ever Socket 939 CPU - does not
>>> support hardware virtualisation.
>>
>> My new Intel laptop doesn't have it either.
>
> Yes, indeed. It's a nuisance.

Well, anyways, if it makes you (us?) feel any better, sometimes things
only work with VT-X disabled. And some OSes won't boot on modern
hardware anyways. I had troubles with various ones. So it's a pretty
big crapshoot no matter how you look at it. At least a slow emulator
works slowly, better than nothing at all.

P.S. Darek of emulators.com did a lot of work over the past two or so
years to speed up BOCHS. He seems to really know his stuff, so if
you're interested, check his site. (He also wrote an 8-bit Atari
emulator for DOS way back in the day, among others.)