Hi,

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Bernd Blaauw <bbla...@home.nl> wrote:

> Op 4-5-2011 11:08, dos386 schreef:

Good ol' DOS386, gotta love his enthusiasm!   :-))       Although you
left out some important things (and seem stuck on some questionable
tools, which is fine, but I still disagree about the uniqueness of
some of it).

> As noted somewhere on this list, FreeDOS 1.1 is supposed to
> come out now 2011 (same had been previously promised for
> 2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007 too) after kernel 2040 comes out.
>
> Once 2040 is out a new FreeDOS distribution would be nice indeed. Why 2040?
> It's supposed to fix some FAT corruption issues (and other stuff), making
> kernel 2035/36/37/38/39 obsolete, as well as giving a definitive version of
> the SYS program.

2039 is mainly good for COUNTRY.SYS. Other than that, 2038 was good enough.

> Personally I've started updating the "1.0 with extras and full sources' ISO
> a bit on my own machine, which is going pretty slow as updating files and
> packages is boring, while messing around with batch scripts is more
> challenging.

Yes, it's very tedious trying to keep everything together. We've all
been there.   :-/

> FREECOM (updated (in progress ?) or not (from 2003))
>
> Still same one I guess, unless Jeremy, Pat or Blair succeeded in improving
> things like porting to Openwatcom for example.

I just assumed it was dead, haven't heard anything from Blair in
forever. But apparently Bart says he ported it to OW, so that's very
good news!   :-)

> HIMEMX 3.32 or 3.33 (the "early-80386-BUG" is not "officially" fixed)
>
> Not aware of this bug, guess you notified Japheth? I'd prefer a super-memory
> driver (all in one, something like JEMMEX with "/xms286", "/xms386" and
> /"xmsx64" options) but gifted coders so far have decided otherwise :)

The problem with JEMMEX was that (I think?) you can't use only the XMS
by itself (without also being in V86 mode). So separate HIMEMX (or
XMGR or FDXMS286) was still useful.

The problem is that HIMEMX has no maintainer, and nobody bothered
packing up the "fix". I think RayeR (on BTTR) verified the "bug" (and
patch) on an old 386 laptop. So 3.33 has never been "official" by any
stretch.

> JEMM 5.74
>
> The only option as it's Japheth's  further development of all the work done
> on by Tom Ehlert, Michael Devore and others on EMM386

Right, I would suggest to forget about old EMM386 2.26 except for
archival reasons / comparison.

> CTMOUSE
>
> Can't even remember which version this is at, and if it replaces all
> previous 1.x and 2.x branches with different hardware interface methods.

2.1 beta 4 is latest (hi, Eric!), but I'm not sure the compatibility
patches (latest JWasm syntax changes) to the .ASM sources were ever
propagated upstream "officially".

> Editors:
>
> FreeDOS EDIT (the BUG is still in ...)
>
> what bug? I've had issues with files being truncated if saved version didn't
> fit in low free space situations. Guess EDIT 0.9 should be added, hope it
> can open files with 64K+ file size

No, and that's a "minor" problem, also with Freemacs:  64k file size
limit. But at least you can have multiple 64k files.  ;-))

> INFOPAD (very good, from 3.95 or later, possibly best editor
> for 80386 and above, bugs are fixed, patch-in full DOS32A)
>
> Worth looking up if I can ever find this mail again once done with all other
> stuff.

Included in (now revived) CC386 (last updated a month ago, Apr. 14).
It's the same D-Flat as FD EDIT, but 386+ only, which means no more
64k limits. Despite what DOS386 implies, I'm not convinced it's
totally stable yet. At least, it used to be fairly buggy.

At one point Eric thought a bit about porting FD EDIT to 386 / DJGPP,
but that was never a priority for anybody (nor should it be, IMHO,
unless they get really bored one day). I'm pretty sure we have enough
text editors, but feel free to correct me.   ;-)

> WATTCOM (anyone dares to reduce the bloat before adding ???)
>
> What bloat? I remember years ago Arkady made zip files for DOS, simply
> replacing the contents by Openwatcom 1.9 files should work?

I made a .7z for OW 1.8 (full DOS only) that was only 6 MB packed (45
MB unpacked, see iBiblio), and somebody (Aitor?) made a .ZIP (12 MB?)
of that. My later attempt at 1.9 messed up, didn't include all files,
so I forgot about it (and nobody nagged me). But yeah, default full is
like 70 or 80 MB .ZIP sfx .EXE, which is a bit large. But you're
right, it's not "that hard" to update it. I guess Bart knows whether
1.9 is stable with rebuilding the kernel or not. (Eric would say,
"Include a minimal 1.3 just in case!", but I doubt anybody besides me
agrees with that.)

> HX (2.14 2008-03 ??? 2.16 2009-11 ??? "secret" update
> from 2010 ??? there are both improvements and regressions ...)
>
> wouldn't CWSDPMI (0.7) and HX be enough, instead of adding all the other
> extenders as well?

OpenWatcom already includes a few extenders (though not D3X
[non-commercial] nor WDOSX [LGPL?]), but its DOS/32A is very old (7.x
vs. 9.1.2), for no good reason.

We definitely need latest DOS/32A as separate package plus CWSDPMI r7
(and maybe r5 2008 just for safety). HX is definitely needed too for
various reasons. Other than that, probably not.

> RayeR's MUPDF DGJPP port
>
> This looked pretty good, of what I noticed on BTTR forums. Any reason to
> still provide XPDF? or does that serve a different version?

RayeR has been too busy to work on MUPDF/DJGPP further. It's a nice
beta, but it's far from finished.

> UNTGZKIR http://jafile.com/uploads/dos386/untgzkir.zip (very good, OS&  PD
> !!!)
>
> I can't recall anyone working with (gzip'd) TAR files under DOS.

DJGPP's DJTAR can already unpack those (as well as other tools, not
100% sure which one is referred to above).

> UNRAR ??? (bad license)
>
> What bad license issue? Every program able to unpack RAR archives has this
> license limitation (namely, not to use its sources to build a RAR archiver)

No, there are at least one or two other UNRAR libs, but they mostly
only cover v1 or v1.5 archives, so only really really old stuff. The
restriction is completely sane unless you want 100% GPL compatibility
(understandable but ...).

But we don't need RAR at all, if this is a deal breaker. I don't know
of anybody using it actively except Paku Paku and NDN (hi Stefan,
please write soon!). So we could always repack whatever .RARs we want
to include and point people to Rar Labs site. (BTW, RAR v4 dropped DOS
and also Win9x support, presumably because of Unicode support. But
3.93 is still sold, though.)

> ... MPLAYER ...
Good to have but unlikely to ever be included officially.

> ARACHNE 1.95 (remove garbage before adding ???) HTTPS:NO
>
> DRDOS wiki at drdos.org has something about a Webkit-engine based browser
> called OWB (open web browser) binary running under HX, no further info
> though.

Arachne is worth including, others are less important, IMHO, unless we
can sort out licenses.

> MBTCP + TOOLS
>
> You ment MTCP ? Still patiently awaiting WGET using this (faster and likely
> lower disksize compared to WATTCP32 WGET), FTP scripts aren't my favourite
> for downloading programs.

Still not open sourced yet (no offense, Mike), so enthusiasm is
probably not high.

> FBMD5 http://jafile.com/uploads/dos386/fbmd5.zip
>
> I think Blair still has an MD5SUM program. Not verified yet if it works
> properly, I remember some issues with a very early release, assume those
> were fixed soon after.

Blair's 16-bit MD5SUM is nice, yes, but it's 16-bit only. Which is
great for compatibility but slow on speed. DOS386's FBMD5 is like
twice as fast (IIRC).

MD5SUM: 16-bit, slow, OW compile (since bug in Pacific's libc)
FBMD5: 32-bit, FreeBASIC, fast, glob bug (accidental overwrite if not
careful), needs FPU init patched out (buggy FB rtl) else bloaty FPU
emulation (20k!)

DOS386's archive above is only .BAS + .PNG, which isn't ideal, IMHO.
See URL below (old but still useful):

http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113881&highlight=#113881

P.S. Plumbing problem in the yard today, heh, hard to not feel like a
Three Stooges episode sometimes (me and bro).