Op 4-5-2011 21:45, Bart Oldeman schreef:
> On 4 May 2011 15:18, Bernd Blaauw<bbla...@home.nl>  wrote:
>> FREECOM (updated (in progress ?) or not (from 2003))
>>
>> Still same one I guess, unless Jeremy, Pat or Blair succeeded in improving
>> things like porting to Openwatcom for example.
> I just finished porting FREECOM in SVN to OpenWatcom. It seems to work
> properly now including the XMS swapping, though it could use some more
> testing.

Hi Bart,

would there be any testing binary available for FreeCOM?
Just wondering if it works, what filesize and memory usage would be, if
UPX compression works, etc.
Hopefully it's a shell built out of modules/options so it can be real
tiny on disk if needed by leaving out some functions. Something like
Arjay's RJDOS [  http://www.wimborne.org/richard/downloads/rjdos.zip ].
Unless other tiny opensource shells exist for example.
Basicly trying to create a 360KB FreeDOS boot image to have included in
SeaBIOS under QEMU, while also providing the FLASHROM program, but
running out of diskspace bigtime (unless able to resort to 720KB disk
image which LZMA-compressed would fall below 360KB).

Is the XMS-swapping dynamic? something like:
@echo off
rem FreeCOM loaded, everything in conventional memory
MEM /C /N
rem Provide XMS, hope FreeCOM is able to free some of the conventional
memory it used
rem DEVLOAD HIMEMX.EXE
JEMMEX LOAD NOEMS
rem Moves part of itself to XMS, or falls back to basic part of shell
then fully starts anew.
%comspec% /RELOAD
MEM /C /N