Hi,

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Alain Mouette <ala...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Em 04-05-2011 16:45, Bart Oldeman escreveu:
>>
>> I had to use some of the kernel build infrastructure to be able to
>> still also build with Turbo C(++). Writing portable DOS makefiles
>> causes all sorts of funny restrictions, esp. dealing with Turbo C 2.01
>> make: it cannot do command line redirection.
>
> Why not use some other make, like gmake? so freedos only compiles with
> it and the mess is fixed (at least partialy)?
>
> This make problem has been a nightmare around here too ;-)

IIRC, there was a real-mode GNU Make 3.71 or such a long time ago. I
remember I archived it (on my old P166), but I never bothered with it
much. So it may not be perfect, but it does exist! Perhaps found at
GNUish mirror sites. (Dmake also exists, but I doubt it's better.
Oops, forgot OpenWatcom has WmakeR [real mode] now too.)

BTW, Bart, were you ever cc'd in that email of mine a long time ago
re: FDISK's makefile problems? IIRC, it was regarding long cmdlines >
126 bytes that I quoted from an old Turbo C++ 1.0 book. Okay, maybe
that's not totally relevant, but I can forward it if interested (or
look up similar). I realize that TC 2.01 is slightly different, maybe
more limited, but hey, it can't hurt for reference. Just sayin' ....

P.S. Bart, thanks for your efforts over the years. I know that's not
much from me, but ....