Hi,

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:

> A big reason I prefer zip is that zip files were the de facto standard for
> distributing DOS software, long before FreeDOS. People know how to us it,
> lots of other software (shareware, etc) is already in zip file format, etc.
> And most importantly, it is a free format whose definition is in the public
> domain, so it will remain free.

http://www.pkware.com/documents/casestudies/APPNOTE.TXT

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but ...

ZIP is great. Thanks to Info-Zip's impeccable efforts, I use it all
the time. Yes, most DOS files are in .ZIP format, but others have been
used too (RAR, LZH, ZOO, ARC, CAB, ARJ, HA). And that's ignoring *nix
preference for .tar.gz and tar.bz2. Not to mention all the weird
experimental packers and archivers, too (LZOP, PAQ, UHarc, SBC). So
it's a big big world. However, since 7-Zip (LZMA, XZ, LZip, etc) is
almost completely superior, I welcome it with open arms.

But nothing is perfect for everyone. So we have to let people choose
what they want.