Hi!

> Actually, since the boot disk loads uses floppy caching, the FDI runs
> reasonably well. As a user, you would not even notice any performance

As said, floppy target audience includes more 16-bit people compared to
the almost 100% cd/dvd target audience. So you should be able to safely
skip caching (which needs 32 bit) when the floppy boots on 16 bit pc...

Another hint: Try the combination lbacache + tickle in the floppy-tuned
mode of tickle. You can alledgedly also use tickle with Jack's caches,
depending on their support for floppy. I vaguely remember him not being
too fond of caching drives with exchangeable media.

For extraction, again tickle read-ahead cache of the source disk might
help. However, it is also possible that you get into a write bottleneck
during the backup and extract steps. This is something that our caches
do not handle well, but you can try different settings and caches to at
least keep the cache-based slow down low: Our caches are almost unable
to speed up writes yet. At most, you get a bit of gain from the _read_
cache effect on directory and FAT modifications on the target disk :-)

Cheers, Eric

PS Rugxulo: FreeCOM does NOT support command line option passing via
env variables itself. That is just common in DJGPP compiled tools etc.

PS Jayden: I prefer to avoid the whole discussion in the floppy case
and have NO floppy installer. Let people with before-CD computers do
the installs manually. Give the rest a switchable-to-fancy installer.

PS Mateusz: Thanks for FDINST! It gives pre-CD people the ability to
manage their packages 16-bit style, during or AFTER install, as "my"
floppy style would be: Install by xcopy, use fdinst to add more apps.