> On Oct 26, 2015, at 12:23 PM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:
>

> Hi Mercury,
>
>> Personally I would rather see an executable installer also and save any
>> batch installers for a floppy distro, A batch would be perfect for a
>> setting where every byte counts.
>
> Actually no: Easiest would be a floppy with pre-installed DOS and
> the usual tools (fdisk, format, sys, xcopy). Next step would be to
> add UNZIP and have zipped tools. Gives you more installable stuff
> per size on the floppy, but less useable stuff without install ;-)
>
> Size wise, a small executable with few features is probably even
> smaller than a medium size set of generic tools and several large
> batch files to give the limited language of BAT enough power for
> a decent installer. Plus you have to load all those small files,
> probably repeatedly, so a small exe is also FASTER for floppies.

Actually, since the boot disk loads uses floppy caching, the FDI runs
reasonably well. As a user, you would not even notice any performance
difference between it and a binary based installer.

The slowest part of the install is waiting for (xcopy or zip, depending on what
method is selected) to make a backup of the old OS and waiting for the
packages to be extracted. These would be no faster in a exe installer.

So, batch speed really is not an issue. :)