On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:
>[...]
> PS Rugxulo: FreeCOM does NOT support command line option passing via
> env variables itself. That is just common in DJGPP compiled tools etc.
>
> PS Jayden: I prefer to avoid the whole discussion in the floppy case
> and have NO floppy installer. Let people with before-CD computers do
> the installs manually. Give the rest a switchable-to-fancy installer.
>
> PS Mateusz: Thanks for FDINST! It gives pre-CD people the ability to
> manage their packages 16-bit style, during or AFTER install, as "my"
> floppy style would be: Install by xcopy, use fdinst to add more apps.

I agree that the floppy case is an edge case. I am not too worried
about that. From how I understand people using FreeDOS, most users are
either installing FreeDOS on some modern machine ("I just bought a new
machine, I'll install FreeDOS on the old one") or installing FreeDOS
in a VM (such as VMWare or VirtualPC or Linux DOSemu). Not too many
older machines are still around, and in working order.

Let's remember some CPU history: the '486 was released in the late
1990s (discontinued after about 2006 or 2007, I think.) The '386 was
throughout the 1990s. The '286 was the last pre-CD computer, and that
was early 1980s to early 1990s. How many twenty-year-old machines are
still in use by people who aren't avid collectors?