> On Dec 2, 2015, at 11:14 AM, "Jerome E. Shidel Jr." <jer...@shidel.net> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 2, 2015, at 3:28 AM, Mateusz Viste <mate...@viste.fr> wrote:
>>
>> I uploaded a new devel version right now:
>>
>> gopher://gopher.viste.fr/1/temp
>>
>> Joe Forster kindly hinted off-list that open watcom comes with a
>> 'doslfnX.lib' library that can be used to transparently enable LFN
>> support within the compiled application. Since the required effort is
>> more than reasonable, I linked FDINST to it, so hopefully (?) FDINST
>> should now support LFN files, and therefore it might solve all the -2
>> errors that were popping up when trying to unpack LFN files from packages.
>>
>> Mateusz
>
> I will run the complete test on it later today and let you know the results.
>
> But, so far, a quick test is looking good. A couple of packages that caused
> system lockup or crash during the install, remove and reinstall process,
> no longer freeze up the system.  :-) :-) :-)
>
> Some, are still throwing errors in a extremely stripped down configuration.
> However, that configuration does not have any LFN support. So, it may
> just be [-2] errors.
>
> Later, I will check the log and also run it under DOSLFN. I will let you know
> the results.
>

>>> On 01/12/2015 19:04, Mateusz Viste wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Here is a new devel version of the FDNPKG package (including FDINST, as
>>> usual). The big change is that I use zlib now, instead of tinfl.
>>>
>>> gopher://gopher.viste.fr/1/temp
>>>
>>> My limited tests show that it doesn't fail any more on neither the
>>> 'lzma' nor 'help' packages, which the previous deflate library was
>>> failing on when compiled to a 16bit target.
>>>
>>> This should solve all the -15 and -9 errors you had (these errors being
>>> "DEFLATE failure" and "CRC mismatch", respectively).
>>>
>>> The -2 errors you reported will NOT be solved ("cannot create file"),
>>> since these are related to LFN handling, and as far as I know, Open
>>> Watcom doesn't support LFN natively (and I don't plan to write my own
>>> INT-based LFN client implementation, nor using a specialized library for
>>> that). Ideally, a FreeDOS package shouldn't contain LFN files, but
>>> unfortunately some software uses non-8+3 filenames in their sources...
>>> No idea how this could be solved 'cleanly' at the package level.
>>>
>>> I do not know whether this devel version will solve troubles related to
>>> freezing and/or inability to reinstall packages. It might solve them, if
>>> TINFL was trashing memory for whatever reason. But it also might be some
>>> FDNPKG bug just as well, or not related to FDNPKG/TINFL at all. I will
>>> have to do more tests, so far I wasn't able to reproduce the behavior
>>> you described.
>>>
>>> Mateusz

Well, I had run the test without LFN, caching...

It did not freeze or lockup.
There were multiple issues and about 2500 errors (total). Containing -2,-3,-4
and -9.

After adding DOSLFN, there were chkdsk errors and it locked up at sone point.
However, with the system lockups caused by the previous version. There may have
been file system damage.

While rebuilding the vm, I broke some stuff. Thought I fixed it. But, now
Fdinst is exiting with an errorlevel but no error messages.

I ran out of time. So, results are not conclusive. I don't know when I will be
able to get back to it.