Hi Jim,

On 16 Jun 2021, at 21:01, Jim Hall wrote:

> Instead of PakuPaku, what about some other "PacMan"-like game instead?
> For example, there's Double PacMan, at
> https://breadbingames.itch.io/double-pacman
> (source code at https://github.com/moonorongo/doublePalman .. GNU GPL
> in the 'src' directory)

I agree the PakuPaku "cardware" License is problematic.

PakuPaku is interesting not only as a game, but because it uses the
undocumented 160x100 16 color CGA mode and can run on a stock IBM PC/XT 8086
4.77 Mhz.

So PakuPaku also is a useful tool to test old hardware, besides being a nice
game.

The Authors/Projects website is at <https://deathshadow.com/pakuPaku>

On the projects page the author writes

>> I'm distributing this game as cardware. If you enjoy it please send a
>> postcard to the provided address. The code for the game is released to the
>> public domain. Do what you like with it so long as credit is given to the
>> copyright holder, Jason M. Knight. I have included the full Pascal and
>> Assembler source code to the game in the distribution. Feel free to play
>> with it, come up with anything cool from it let me know.  <<

My understanding is that the PakuPaku "binaries" on the page are "cardware",
but the source is "public domain". The game itself does not seem to mention
"cardware".

I'm willing to contact Jason M. Knight to clarify the source code license. If
the license is public domain, the FreeDOS project could create own binaries
(maybe port to FreePascal) without the cardware license restriction.

Greetings

Carsten