Hi Jim,

>>> * GNU Chess (a chess game) doesn't seem to work for me. When I
>>> ran GNUCHESS.EXE I got a bunch of ANSI esc codes printed...
>>
>> Then you probably have to load NANSI. Easy solution, no? ;-)

Actually NANSI also makes your console output FASTER
in DOS in general, so we should probably just load
it all the time. If you really worry about people
getting confused by GNUCHESS, but really refuse to
load NANSI by default, you could simply provide a
batch file to first load NANSI, then GNUCHESS and
bundle that batch file with GNUCHESS. You can even
make that batch file check whether NANSI already is
loaded.

But again, avoid all those hassles by always loading
NANSI. That is a lot better than BANNING ALL apps
which use ANSI "because they could confuse users"!
ANSI even is a standard part of MS DOS. It is "base"!

> Not saying we don't include it, just that the palette
> is off in VirtualBox.

You do not solve bugs in VirtualBox by telling users
that they may only play the three games where you do
not notice that VirtualBox is broken. Just make sure
that people configure their VirtualBox properly or,
if it really has a bug, that bug gets fixed.

> It's just the graphics look weird in VirtualBox.

Maybe people should not use VirtualBox for DOS games.

In DOSEMU2, which emulates both a built-in int 33 and
some PS/2 mouse visible to CTMOUSE, Liquid Wars will
work both with and without CTMOUSE, but I only seem
to get mouse action in the menu.

Unfortunately, nobody has built the HTML, PDF or TXT
of the documentation for DOS! But in the XML source
code of the documentation, you can read that it is
INTENTIONAL that the mouse does not move the cursor
inside the game, only inside the menu. The reason:

The cursor is only allowed to move step by step and
a mouse cursor would be able to move too fast. You
can enable the mouse in 4-player Teams mode, though.

Click a direction "key" you want to define and move
the mouse instead of typing a keyboard key to assign.
This turns mouse movements to virtual keypresses and
it will still depend on whether you hit walls whether
the cursor will actually move in your mouse direction.

> would really love to know why the graphics are
> weird in VirtualBox. I know a lot of FreeDOS users
> are using VirtualBox.

Why, actually?

Eric