Sent: Friday, December 31, 2021 at 11:36 PM
From: "Ralf Quint" <freedos...@gmail.com>
To: freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Freedos-devel] mkey keyboard
On 12/31/2021 9:19 AM, Wilhelm Spiegl wrote:
mkeyb supports a lot of keyboard layouts e.g. "gr" for german etc.
FreeDOS uses the set lang= xy variable for many country related things.
but the gr etc. in mkeyb xy differ from this variable that is used for nls, help etc.

Would it be possible to change the country characters in mkeyb e.g. german from "gr" to "de" and so on so that it is possible to say "mkeyb %lang%" to get the correct keyboard layout in FD without big problems?
This would be a great help for the users and for Jerome.

Well, no,not really.

As Tom already mentioned, those keyboard layout codes have always been that way, since the first version of DOS that had a KEYB "driver". And for compatibility reasons, this should be the same.

The reason for GR instead of DE is that all those abbreviations are derived from the English language, as in "GeRmany", not "DEutschland". Hasn't been a problem though either, as there was, at least not officially AFAIK, a GReek KEYB option. For the same reason it is SP for SPain (not ESpana), HU for Hungary (not Magyar), though they chose SU for SUomi  instead of FI for Finland (not sure if that was a stab against the then still existing Soviet Union, LOL).

You also need to understand that the keyboard layout codes are NOT identical with the "language" being used (for example in translations), as for example both US and UK are for different keyboard layouts used in the US of A and the United Kingdom, even though they both are supposed to be English Speaking countries. Same goes for FR and CF, which defines the keyboard layout for FRance and French Canada respectively, though the on screen language in both cases is French. Or PO and BT for POrtugal and BRazil, which both use (some form of) Portuguese.

I don't have an easy way to test this right now in any Windows version, but I am pretty sure that a similar distinction exists there as well, though those settings are there made within a GUI tool not by using command line parameters line in DOS...

Ralf

Avast logo