> But I still think about adding turkish layouts in mkeyb.
why? obviously thraex has had a turkish keyboard driver
for the last 30 years. what is the problem ou are trying to solve?

and thraex hasn't complained himself, so it's not up to you to
complain.

>  It would make much things easier.
what kind of things exactly?

a) there are 2 kinds of turkish keyboards. which one do you mean?

b) I wouldn't even qualify to verify if the keyboard driver works
correct.

you will have to find a turkish speaking/understanding person with at
least moderate technical skills to do this.

> Which amount do you think I should pay for
> a charity community, Tom?
after thinking about this, this project doesn't interest me; however I
would help to implement this. most of the available keyboards were NOT
done by me, or at least corrected by others.

Tom

> I would pay up to 300 Euro for this, of
> course you will get a copy of my bank account (account values
> deleted, only the money I will pay will be shown).
> If you want, you can send me the response to my mail address directly.
>
> Willi
>

> Sent: Friday, December 31, 2021 at 11:36 PM
> From: "Ralf Quint" <freedos...@gmail.com>
> To: freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Freedos-devel] mkey keyboard
> On 12/31/2021 9:19 AM, Wilhelm Spiegl wrote:
> mkeyb supports a lot of keyboard layouts e.g. "gr" for german etc.
>  FreeDOS uses the set lang= xy variable for many country related things.
>  but the gr etc. in mkeyb xy differ from this variable that is used for nls,
> help etc.

>  Would it be possible to change the country characters in mkeyb
> e.g. german from "gr" to "de" and so on so that it is possible to
> say "mkeyb %lang%" to get the correct keyboard layout in FD without big
> problems?
>  This would be a great help for the users and for Jerome.
>
> Well, no,not really.
>
> As Tom already mentioned, those keyboard layout codes have always
> been that way, since the first version of DOS that had a KEYB
> "driver". And for compatibility reasons, this should be the same.

>  The reason for GR instead of DE is that all those abbreviations
> are derived from the English language, as in "GeRmany", not
> "DEutschland". Hasn't been a problem though either, as there was, at
> least not officially AFAIK, a GReek KEYB option. For the same reason
> it is SP for SPain (not ESpana), HU for Hungary (not Magyar), though
> they chose SU for SUomi  instead of FI for Finland (not sure if that
> was a stab against the then still existing Soviet Union, LOL).
>
> You also need to understand that the keyboard layout codes are NOT
> identical with the "language" being used (for example in
> translations), as for example both US and UK are for different
> keyboard layouts used in the US of A and the United Kingdom, even
> though they both are supposed to be English Speaking countries. Same
> goes for FR and CF, which defines the keyboard layout for FRance and
> French Canada respectively, though the on screen language in both
> cases is French. Or PO and BT for POrtugal and BRazil, which both use (some
> form of) Portuguese.
>
> I don't have an easy way to test this right now in any Windows
> version, but I am pretty sure that a similar distinction exists
> there as well, though those settings are there made within a GUI
> tool not by using command line parameters line in DOS...
>
> Ralf

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with kind regards
Tom Ehlert
+49-15151898538