Hi,

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 7:38 PM Michael Christopher Robinson
<mich...@robinson-west.com> wrote:

> So I create a zip archive of my Win2k C drive on say an external
> drive's partition from FreeDOS, boot into 2000, and unzip the file on
> the external from 2000?  I think zip and unzip in freedos require that
> I install cwsdpmi.  I believe there are utilities such as gzip, tar,
> etcetera from Linux world in freedos, maybe I can use these if there
> are equivalent programs available for 2000.

CWSDPMI is only needed for 32-bit DJGPP (pmode, DPMI) builds. So, for
example, HDPMI32 (from HX) also works.

* ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2misc/csdpmi7b.zip
*
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/system/cwsdpmi/csdpmi7b.zip

There are 16-bit DOS builds too, but only the 32-bit DJGPP builds
(zip, unzip) support LFNs by default. So you'll still need a LFN
driver (e.g. DOSLFN) loaded, in raw DOS. Note that Win2k has its own
DPMI and LFN (under NTVDM), so neither is necessary there, for DJGPP
programs.

* ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/msdos/
* https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/info-zip/

There's also some p7zip builds via DJGPP (and it supports .tar, .gz,
.bz2, .zip, .7z, .xz), but I don't normally recommend those because
they are only half-functional and somewhat confusing. Although you
could also use the "7za" Win32 console builds on Win2k, obviously (or
even under Japheth's HX under DOS).

*
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/7zip/9.20.1/testing/p7z9201-latest.zip

* https://www.7-zip.org/a/7za920.zip
* https://github.com/Baron-von-Riedesel/HX

There's also DJTAR (unpacking only, .tar, .tar.gz [sic, not .gz only],
.zip Deflate only) from DJDEV* (e.g. 2.05) that supports LFNs (if
available). But I don't know if that's what you want either.

* http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/djgpp/current/v2/djdev205.zip

(Sorry if this is just more confusion for you!)