On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 12:59:42PM +0100, Eric Auer wrote:

> You can always use HLT to save power, which both FDAPM
> and the kernel IDLEHALT support even on older-than-APM
> systems. The kernel config sys option can be either
>
> IDLEHALT=1 to use HLT when the kernel is waiting
> IDLEHALT=2 to also provide int 2f function 1680 HLT
> IDLEHALT=3 to provide int 2f... and tell apps about it
> IDLEHALT=-1 to try hard to use HLT more often, plus 3
> [..]
> Apart from that, FDAPM and PCISLEEP can help you to
> activate standby or suspend modes, for the graphics
> or the whole system, but that also depends on how well
> the DOS tools are able to understand your system and
> you may also get crashes. Still quite reasonable for
> two tools which are so small and do educated guesses
> after a quick browse of your ACPI and other data :-)

I had IDLEHALT=1 since years - so now I changed it to IDLEHALT=3. But FDAPM
all the time says: "CPU was idle 0% of the time".

Indeed PCISLEEP can make my VGA sleep, it seems (at least it declared it
can) - but most important to me is to give CPU a break when it's not that
busy (waiting for my typing etc.). The energy maybe not that important,
just I'd like to avoid CPU's overheat, in which case the whole machine gets
switched off completely. Four different (and noisy) fans in that cramped
box, and it's still not enough
--
regards,
Zbigniew