On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 04:25:38PM -0600, Rugxulo wrote:

> IIRC, trying IDLEHALT under virtual machine (MetaDOS) showed
> noticeable improvement, at least sitting at the prompt doing nothing
> (Win7 Task Manager). But of course any app (e.g. text editor) polling
> incessantly wouldn't take advantage (although even there some can
> handle themselves, e.g. TDE using DPMI idle or whatever, I forget the
> details). Yes, that was using FreeCOM 0.84-pre2 XMS_Swap and FD kernel
> 2041 (with very minor, unrelated, patches). I assume you're using
> kernel 2042? I doubt it's a regression or difference, just trying to
> be exact.

>From what I see it's 2042 (May 2016).

> Not sure exactly what Volkov Commander and 4DOS are doing "better"
> than FreeCOM.

I'd like to learn it - please, note: VC is actually quite an oldie, created
at the time no one heard about IDLEHALT, "timeslices" etc. - and very few
were taking care about "energy saving features" etc.

> Keep in mind that an AthlonXP-based setup (P3 clone) is
> quite different compared to newer machines. It's quite a convoluted
> mess trying to support so much hardware over decades. I still
> sympathize, but I really don't know what to tell you. I suspect FDAPM
> just doesn't have accurate stats. With what other methods would you
> know if it was working (conserving) or not? Just the fan ramping up?

As I wrote I noticed overheating - my machine repeatedly got switched off
by its thermal fuse. And it's actually enough to touch the box to notice
difference
--
regards,
Zbigniew