On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 05:08:51PM +0100, Eric Auer wrote:

> > So how can I check idle statistics, if not using FDAPM?
>
> I mean try using FDAPM without using IDLEHALT.

I don't see any difference - and, actually, I didn't even expect any.
If with IDLEHALT my CPU doesn't take any "breaks" - why should it take them
_without_ IDLEHALT at all?

> As you say your PC fails to idle while just waiting at
> the command prompt: Your command.com is a version of
> FreeCOM, I guess? Which version? Any hypervisors or
> virtual computers or similar running "around" DOS?

It's ordinary c:\fdos\bin\command.com shipped with FreeDOS:
FreeCOM version 0.84-pre2 XMS_Swap [Aug 28 2006 00:34:20]

No, I don't mean running FreeDOS as "virtual environment" - it's "native"
installation on that particular hardware. My CPU is Athlon XP 3000+.

I've got a feeling that IDLEHALT setting doesn't work at all. Most users
don't notice as long, as their CPUs doesn't get overheated; most probably
I didn't mind too if not regular system outage. Maybe IDLEHALT has been
tailored only for Pentium?
--
regards,
Zbigniew