On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 7:42 AM ZB <zbigniew2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed PCISLEEP can make my VGA sleep, it seems (at least it declared it
> can) - but most important to me is to give CPU a break when it's not that
> busy (waiting for my typing etc.). The energy maybe not that important,
> just I'd like to avoid CPU's overheat, in which case the whole machine gets
> switched off completely. Four different (and noisy) fans in that cramped
> box, and it's still not enough

<blink>  What hardware are you running, where you have four fans in
the box and it's still not enough to prevent a system halt because the
CPU overheated?

I had that problem on my old 32 bit desktop, and the problem was dust
buildup in the case severe enough to clog the CPU fan and prevent it
from working.  The system would overheat and freeze, and require a
power cycle to come back up.

Opening the case and doing a thorough clean and vacuum, removing the
clogging that kept the CPU fan from working was the fix.  The problem
occurred in the first place because I had removed the metal shims
intended to cover unused motherboard slots while fiddling with add-on
cards and not put them back, so there were empty slots dust could get
in through, and did.  Sealing off those empty slots kept the problem
from recurring.

I'd open the case on your machine, and check that the *CPU* fan is not
clogged and working properly.  If *it* has a problem, the other fans
will not compensate.

> regards,
> Zbigniew
______