On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 04:28:00PM +0200, Eric Auer wrote:

> About your missing 10 kB: That might be extra driver
> data, extra BIOS data, a virus, depends. Just telling
> DOS to use them anyway will not be the solution. You
> could use DEBUG to see what is in those 10 kB.

You mean "extra driver data" not shown by "mem"? Or BIOS data within 640 KB?

Also what I dislike in this mobo is modest amount of UMB. My old Soyo
(ISA/VLB) offers about 140 KB of UMB, while this one just about 70 KB.

Another thing is: that UMB area is somehow "mismanaged" here. For example:
when I use EMS DISPLAY.SYS places his 12 KB into "conventional memory",
although still almost 20 KB free in UMB is reported by "mem". Probably
fragmented(?), or similar issue.

> Your mainboard http://www.asrock.com/mb/SIS/K7S8XE/
> (AGP, AMD Socket 462) says "Floppy 1 connector" and
> there are BIOS updates from 2004 for newer CPU and
> some smaller fixes.
>
> https://download.asrock.com/Manual/K7S8XE.pdf
>
> does not show the submenu for floppy, so I wonder
> whether you can configure the controller to use
> two floppy disk drives at the same time there?

Meanwhile I found description of probably the same issue:

https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/1452/only-drive-a-detected-with-two-floppy-disk-drives

So unfortunately it seems it's the "feature" and nothing can be done :(
--
regards,
Zbigniew