On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 9:26 AM ZB <zbigniew2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> completed lately my DOS machine with additional 1.2 MB 5,25" FDD for
> occasional use of my old diskettes. So I have 3,5" FDD as drive A: and
> 5,25" FDD as drive B: now.
>
> But there is a problem: I can only access the drive A: - never both drives
> on a whim. So to access 5,25" drive I have to "swap drives" in BIOS setup
> first, and only then I can read that bigger diskette.

I'm willing to bet this is a motherboard/BIOS issue.

My old 32 bit desktop has a half height combo 3.5"/5.25" floppy drive.
It was originally seen as drives A: and B:, and which was seen as
which was controlled by a jumper setting on the drive.  That went away
in an emergency motherboard replacement.  The new mobo would see only
*one* of the drives as A:, and I had to pull the drive and change the
jumper setting if I wanted to access the 5.25" drive instead of the
3.5" drive.

The new machine doesn't have floppy slots on the mobo, so while I have
the drive I can't hook it up.  I *do* have a USB 3.5" floppy drive
which is seen as A: when connected and works fine, but I have no
current way to access 5.25" diskettes.  (I have some old stuff I'd
*like* to access)

(For that matter, I still have my original XT clone on a shelf, with
two 20*MB* Seagate MFM hard drives where the drives do not have
onboard controllers and connect to a card on the mobo.  I'd *love* the
get the contents of the drives copied to a USB flash drive, but
haven't found a way to do it.)

> Zbigniew
______
Dennis