On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 07:19:46PM +0200, Eric Auer wrote:

> Hi again :-)

> >> It says controllers after 2003 tend to no longer support
> >> more than one drive at the same time. From when is yours?
> >> The computer mentioned on stackexchange is circa 2009.
> >
> > From what I see on the page
> > http://www.asrock.com/mb/SiS/K7S8XE%20R3.0/?cat=Download&os=XP#BIOS
> > the earliest BIOS update is from 2003/7/21, so around that "dangerous
> > landmark", unfortunately

> >> So the menu actually DOES talk about TWO drives?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Then there must be a way :-)
>
> > https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=36942
>
> Images are no longer available.
>

> https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/chinon-5-25-floppy-fz-506-jumpers.1942441/
>

> https://nfggames.com/X68000/Documentation/Floppy%20Drives/Chinon/FZ06%20jumpers.pdf
>
> Thinking about the Drive Select jumpers: In 5.25inch
> times, it was common to use cables which flipped a
> few wires between both drives, so you had jumpered
> BOTH drives to be "A:" but the one at the flipped
> end of the cable would still get a different number.
>
> https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Njk0WDg5Mw==/z/AQoAAOSwYlRZLwkr/$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F
>
> https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41HYsKSB4ML.jpg
>
> Here is a schema what the flipping does:
>
> http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/images3/floppy_crossover_cable_wiring.jpg

Yes, I understand that "flipping" cancels the need for different jumpering
of two drives, but:

- in my particular case "motor" is properly addressed; when I want to access
  drive selected as A:, its motor spins - and similarly trying to access B:

- during my play with jumpers of course I was able to "spoil" the addressing
  to make both floppies spin (at the same time) during attempt to access
  drive A:

- the problem is: it says "General failure" AFTER it spins B:drive's
  motor in supposed read attempt

My conclusion is that drives are properly addressed, just data transfer
from actual drive B: doesn't occur, probably
--
regards,
Zbigniew