From: Alexander Bokovoy via FreeIPA-users
<freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 1:23 PM
To: Charles Hedrick <hedr...@cs.rutgers.edu>
Cc: Nico Maas <m...@nico-maas.de>; FreeIPA users list
<freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org>; Alexander Bokovoy <aboko...@redhat.com>
Subject: [Freeipa-users] Re: freeIPA Status Debian/Ubuntu

On ke, 09 joulu 2020, Charles Hedrick wrote:
>We’e in the same situation. I’d actually be willing to pay for Redhat,
>but not with the requirement to do a reinstall. So until RHEL 9 I need
>an alternative. While I have lots of reasons to dislike it, I’m
>currently thinking of Oracle Linux for our remaining time on 8. I’ve
>found delays in Centos 8 a concern already, so I’m not inclined to
>wait.

EPEL is has Convert2RHEL: https://access.redhat.com/articles/2360841
It does reinstall of the packages in-place if I understand it right.

>If the IPA developers can assure us that the version in Centos 8 Stream
>is well tested, I’d use that instead. Historically IPA administrative
>tools have been brittle. Any slight difference from the environment
>they expect and there’s a failure, requiring days of reverse
>engineering an understanding of complex Python code. So I’m not
>inclined to gamble on a release with less testing than usual.

What I see as a good change is the fact that if you'd find a bug in C8S IPA
version update, reporting it to bugzilla.redhat.com would trigger a faster fix
cycle than currently with CentOS 8 or 7. The only exception would probably be a
CVE fix since that would still be first available to RHEL customers through an
update to RHEL, same as with CentOS 8 or 7. Perhaps, even a bit faster than
with CentOS 8 or 7 because fixes to C8S for security issues would most likely
be automated.

With most of RHEL development moving into a public space in C8S and Fedora ELN,
the feedback loop should get shorter. Many of the changes were already
discussed during last two years at Flock and other conferences, ongoing work in
the infrastructure and processes to support this certainly make life of RHEL
packagers 'interesting' but the end result is an increase of a attention to
details and a lot more stability to the 'pre-release' composes.

I can only talk about FreeIPA and few other projects I am involved with.
For example, we are getting incredible feedback from both Rawhide and RHEL 8.x
QA processes for FreeIPA 4.9.0 release candidates. The packages are not yet in
RHEL 8.x development composes as we do fixes to issues found through the QA
pre-verification work. Once overall state of the release candidate is at the
level RHEL IdM QA team accepts, those packages will get to RHEL composes and
eventually land in C8S (once the infra is ready). Once C8S is there in full
capacity and running upstream CI tests on it would become a reality, we'll see
even more shortening of that feedback loop length.