On ke, 09 joulu 2020, Charles Hedrick wrote:
thanks. There’s enough jargon in this that I’m not sure I understand.
What’s the difference in level of QA between freeipa in Stream and
RHEL? I’d be happy to have new versions of IPA sooner, if they’ve
actually been tested well enough that they’re ready for the next RHEL
release. Are things in good enough shape that it would make sense to
convert to stream now?

Difference in QA: I hope there will be very little difference. After
all, C8S (hopefully) will be an automated build of what is accepted into
RHEL 8.x build, after that one passed through QA. If any bug is found in
RHEL 8.x build that would require a rebuild, it means as soon as the
new build gets into RHEL 8.x compose, it is built for C8S.

All the above is my understanding of what is essentially still being
created -- as announcement said yesterday, C8S will be in full use by
end of 2021.

Do you think the in-place upgrade of Centos to RHEL would be safe to do
with freeipa? I’d assume there’s no actual difference in the packages.

CentOS to RHEL should be straight-forward. The only difference in ipa
package in CentOS is (de)-branding. I admit, I have no tests of the
reinstall for that. If ipa-server-upgrade ran during package reinstall
would find something weird, this could be a bug to report and fix.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer