It probably depends on what you mean by "public". It might be possible to
have a system where the path compression is limited by some sort of web of
trust (or rather web of secrecy). Nodes included in that web would still
be public but at least not directly available to an attacker. I would
agree that a network of truly private nodes (known and accessable only to
the operator and an out of band chosen group) could not work.

--
'DeCSS would be fine. Where is it?'
'Here,' Montag touched his head.

Oskar Sandberg