I hit the wrong button - please see the remainder of message below.

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 15:55:46 -0500
 "Tim McCracken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

My numbers (atleast) were a joke. The reality of it is (IMHO) that benchmarks are only useful to marketing departments because they are rarely done in an equitable manner. There are way too many differences to benchmark accross hardware platforms, and rarely does anyone tune OS parameters to make benchmarks meaningful on different OSs using the same hardware.

I use Win2K and Solaris and XP extensively. IMHO, each has an efficient kernel. All will run the following program very fast:

while(1)
;

It is the bloated upper layers that everyone has a problem with - the registry, basing everything on COM, legacy DOS file support....

The kernel was designed by the same guy that designed VAX VMS - arugably the best OS ever built. He just had no control over what got piled on top of it.

Tim