After posting I continued looking in to the problem, and searching the
list archives, and discovered that I really did not ask the right
question.

What I would like to do is be able to use MD5 passwords.

I've configured my radiusd.conf and database properly, as near as I can
tell, but it isn't working. The output of "radiusd -X" is:

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 64.254.34.5:1025, id=251,
length=116
        User-Name = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
        User-Password = "password"
        NAS-IP-Address = 64.254.34.5
        NAS-Port = 20205
        NAS-Port-Type = Async
        State = 0x
        Calling-Station-Id = "6203312503"
        Called-Station-Id = "3162606719"
        Acct-Session-Id = "424765938"
  Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
  modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok for request 0
radius_xlat:  '/var/log/radius/radacct/64.254.34.5/auth-detail-20050303'
rlm_detail:
/var/log/radius/radacct/%{Client-IP-Address}/auth-detail-%Y%m%d expands
to /var/log/radius/radacct/64.254.34.5/auth-detail-20050303
  modcall[authorize]: module "auth_log" returns ok for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "chap" returns noop for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for request 0
    rlm_realm: Looking up realm "realm" for User-Name = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
    rlm_realm: Found realm "realm"
    rlm_realm: Adding Stripped-User-Name = "user"
    rlm_realm: Proxying request from user user to realm realm
    rlm_realm: Adding Realm = "realm"
    rlm_realm: Authentication realm is LOCAL.
  modcall[authorize]: module "suffix" returns noop for request 0
  rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
  modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns noop for request 0
radius_xlat:  'user'
rlm_sql (sql): sql_set_user escaped user --> 'user'
radius_xlat:  'SELECT id,UserName,Attribute,Value,op FROM radcheck WHERE
Username = 'user' AND Active = 1 ORDER BY id'
rlm_sql (sql): Reserving sql socket id: 3
radius_xlat:  'SELECT
radgroupcheck.id,radgroupcheck.GroupName,radgroupcheck.Attribute,radgroupcheck.Value,radgroupcheck.op
  FROM radgroupcheck,usergroup WHERE usergroup.Username = 'user' AND
usergroup.GroupName = radgroupcheck.GroupName ORDER BY radgroupcheck.id'
radius_xlat:  'SELECT id,UserName,Attribute,Value,op FROM radreply WHERE
Username = 'user' ORDER BY id'
radius_xlat:  'SELECT
radgroupreply.id,radgroupreply.GroupName,radgroupreply.Attribute,radgroupreply.Value,radgroupreply.op
  FROM radgroupreply,usergroup WHERE usergroup.Username = 'user' AND
usergroup.GroupName = radgroupreply.GroupName ORDER BY radgroupreply.id'
rlm_sql (sql): No matching entry in the database for request from user
[user]
rlm_sql (sql): Released sql socket id: 3
  modcall[authorize]: module "sql" returns notfound for request 0
modcall: group authorize returns ok for request 0
auth: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) configuration found for the
request: Rejecting the user
auth: Failed to validate the user.

My configuration file, relevant lines only:

modules {
        pap {
                encryption_scheme = crypt
        }

        pap md5 {
                encryption_scheme = md5
authenticate {
        Auth-Type MD5 {
                md5
        }
        Auth-Type PAP {
                pap

My database tables, relevant lines only:

radgroupcheck:

id 10, groupname MD5, attribute Auth-Type, op :=, Value MD5
id 11, groupname MD5, attribute Service-Type, op ==, Value Framed-User

^^^ added id #11 at the reccomendation of another mailing list post from
2003

radcheck:

id 3, username user, attribute Password, op ==, value <md5sum>

Now the odd part here is that it's basically saying it can't find the
username in the database (it's there). Now, get this, if I change
radgroupcheck id 10's Value back to "Dialup" (which was working fine
before i did this) it still didn't work, but when I removed the
Auth-Type MD5 from the configuration file, everything went back to
normal!

I'm scratchin my ass on this one, I clearly have no idea what to do, and
none of this is documented anywhere.

So far I've been pretty excited about this software. Very customizeable
and highly extensable. My one complaint? There's nearly ZERO
documentation on how to do that customization. This project REALLY needs
a wiki or something.

--
- Nick Bright
  Terraworld, Inc